As the Sr. Director of Meal Production & Innovation, this role will be responsible for both long term and short-term strategic planning and oversight. This role will also collaborate with key stakeholders to produce quality, nutritious meals that deliver an exceptional client experience. In addition, the Sr. Director will drive financial performance, develop, and train a talented team, and evaluate current practices for overall efficiency. This role will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of a food production facility and managing the expansion and growth of meals and services in a state-of-the-art meal preparation kitchen.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Develops the department's strategic direction, establishing priorities and allocating resources.
Oversight and implementation of CBORD software.
Directs, coordinates, and facilitates daily activities of direct reports to ensure achievement of production goals and client expectations in a safe, timely, cost-efficient manner.
Partner with Executive Chef to provide successful menu rotations and staff education.
Responsible for the development of short and long-term goals related to growth in meals; works with key internal and external stakeholders to meet established growth initiatives through effective planning.
Set production objectives and implement action plans for achieving set targets.
Oversee the hiring and training food production staff.
Responsible for the development of the department budget: monitors spending and reports on operating costs.
Makes recommendations and implements solutions to related issues.
Monitor every aspect of production to ensure compliance with established procedures and standards including ensuring consistency in inventory.
Conduct studies to discover ways to improve the efficiency of production processes.
Prepare periodic reports to update sr. leadership on food production activities.
Maintain accurate inventory of scratch food products as well as finished goods.
Carry out surveys to identify client are being met and adjust to meet such needs
Resolve customer complaints as appropriate to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and quality.
Assures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Maintains adherence to food safety and quality.
Partners with transportation to ensure meals are ready and properly labeled for delivery to clients and/or partner agencies.
Partner with Dietitian to ensure our medically tailored meals meet the nutritional requirements of the clients we serve.
Bachelors Degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Hospitality, Manufacturing Engineering or Equivalent Experience
· 10+ years of experience in a Food Manufacturing environment
· 5+ years of experience in leadership positions
· Experience in implementing new food concepts
· Experience with finished goods production planning and inventory control
· Experience with demand planning
· Excellent understanding of manufacturing operations
· Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
· Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills
· Effective in providing exceptional customer service and ability to improve the bottom line
· Exceptional knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HAACP), OSHA and other quality and safety programs in food processing environments
· Track record of people development; Strong ability to influence, provide leadership, develop teams, and foster teamwork
· Effective facilitation/training skills
· Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint and ability to learn new technologies
· General office environment; limited exposure to warehouse environment
· Interacts with GCFD leadership team, staff, volunteers, and vendors.
The Greater Chicago Food Depository, Chicago’s food bank, believes a healthy community starts with food. We are at the center of a network of more than 700 partner organizations and programs – food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, mobile distributions and other partners – working to bring food, dignity and hope to our neighbors across Chicago and Cook County. The Food Depository addresses the root causes of hunger with job training, advocacy and other innovative solutions