West Texas A&M University, a Member of The Texas A&M University System, invites qualified applicants for a full-time 12 month Instructor of Meat Science position in the Department of Agricultural Sciences beginning Fall 2019 semester.
This position will also be responsible for teaching one three hour course each long semester at the undergraduate level. This position supervises operations of the new state-of-the-art Caviness Meat Science and Innovation Center, an USDA inspected facility. Duties will include supervision of live animal harvest, carcass fabrication, meat processing, USDA regulatory documentation, personnel oversight, and retailing of products through Doc’s Prime Cuts. The candidate will oversee and assist with a variety of teach, research, and service responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
• Support an internationally recognized program in meat science.
• Supervise a new USDA inspected meat laboratory and personnel.
• Assistance, training, and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students in harvesting, fabrication, processing, and retailing of meat products; safety and animal welfare; and cleaning of facilities.
• Participate in the undergraduate teaching program in animal science. Courses could include: AGRI 1329 – Food Science, ANSC 2376 – Meat Animal/Carcass Evaluation, ANSC 3317 – Meat Science, ANSC 4329 – Meat Animal Welfare Management.
• Work closely with muscle food industry leaders and professional consultants in fulfilling regional teaching and service needs.
• M.S. in animal/meat science, food science, or closely related field with emphasis on beef or pork production.
• Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching and service.
• A strong background and understanding of meat science, meat processing, food safety, HACCP, a commitment to quality assurance, and humane livestock handling.
• Interpersonal skills, vision, and desire to establish working relationships throughout the muscle foods industry.
• Commitment to an interdisciplinary team approach to education, research, and service.
• Excellent computer, written and oral communication skills.
• Desirable human relations skills, knowledge and understanding of people management competencies such as coaching, managing conflict, and communications when working with a variety of employees, students, and customers.
Applicants must provide the following materials in order to be considered for this position:
NOTE: Texas law requires all males age 18 through 25 to be properly registered with the Selective Service System. All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check. WTAMU is an Equal Opportunity/AffirmativeAction/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Internal Number: R-022885
About West Texas A&M University
West Texas A&M University is a four-year public university that serves a diverse population of more than 9,900 students representing 48 states, 55 countries and four U.S. territories. In 2016, The Chronicle of Education recognized WTAMU as a “Great College to Work For” in its annual survey on the academic workplace. WTAMU’s more than 800 employees enjoy a growing, dynamic university built on a foundation of respect, support, camaraderie, engagement and dedication, while students thrive in an atmosphere committed to personal attention and teaching excellence.
The Department of Agricultural Sciences program is located in the Paul Engler College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences at West Texas A&M University, a Member of The Texas A&M University System. West Texas A&M University is located in one of the largest cattle feeding areas in the world, producing more than 7 million finished cattle annually, along with extensive cow-calf and stocker cattle production. The area also benefits from a high concentration of allied industries and services such as beef processors, feed manufacturers, renderers, pharmaceutical and biological manufacturers, technical support, and world-class con...sultants in feedyard health and nutrition. Existing and potential programs at WTAMU offer opportunities for unique collaborations in the diverse aspects of beef cattle production. WTAMU is a four-year academic institution with more than 10,000 students including more than 900 students in the department granting Bachelor, Master of Science, and Doctoral degrees.
West Texas A&M University is dedicated to providing a learning and working environment that is free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation for all employees, students, and visitors. Our commitment to equal employment opportunity, program accessibility, and affirmative action must occur in all aspects of our daily operations and everyone must take responsibility for creating an atmosphere that values diversity and promotes inclusion, fairness and respect. As a part of the Texas A&M System, WTAMU will provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity and will strive to achieve full and equal employment opportunity throughout the system.